Public Works Permitting


Permits are issued for the work of grading and paving streets, sidewalks and alleys, and of constructing and installing curbs, gutters, culverts, drains, drainage systems, sanitary sewers and appurtenant work.

Public Works permits are valid for one year. A written submission of extension request is required prior to expiration of the permit. The Public Works Department will review and approve the extension request. The extension is good once for one year additional time.

To schedule an inspection of your Public Works Permit, visit our scheduling page. Once the request is submitted, our inspector will contact you within 24 to 48 hours.


Construction Permits

A construction permit is required when the proposed work involves in preparing sub-grade, paving, installing sewer or drain pipe; constructing curbs, gutters, driveways, sidewalks, manholes, catch basins or similar structures in any street, alley, or easement within the City.

The applicant must be a state licensed contractor with the class license applicable to the work he is going to perform as stated on the Permit-Insurance Requirements form. The subject improvement plans must have been approved and signed by the City Engineer prior to obtaining the Construction permit. A traffic control plan is also required.

If the work is to be on either minor or collector streets, the traffic control plan can be replaced with the WATCH Manual (Work Area Traffic Control Handbook) or MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices).

If the work is to be on an arterial street, the formal submittal of the traffic control plan is required for Public Works review and approval prior to permit issuance. The plan check engineer will determine the permit fee for you based on the proposed work on the approved plan.

The construction permit can be obtained immediately with the approved plans and fees.


Street Opening Permits

A street opening permit is required when:

  • Installing new utilities such as gas, electric, water lines, communications (phone, cable, etc.), cellurar equipment, etc.
  • Excavating inside the Public right-of-way when proposed by others
  • Performing work and/or construction activities that require traffic control or restricts pedestrians from using the sidewalk areas
  • Tree trimming or landscaping that restricts both vehicular and or pedestrian traffic


The applicant requirements are identical to those for a Construction Permit, see Permit-Insurance Requirements. There is an additional requirement to submit an approved set of plans (four each) showing the work to be done, and four sets of Traffic Control Plans (M.U.T.C.D. or W.A.T.C.H. typical details are acceptable; otherwise an engineered traffic control plan is required within 300' LF of a signalized intersection). Finally, the Public Works Department counter staff will determine the permit fee for you based on the work proposed.

When all the necessary information and fees are prepared by the applicant, the street opening permit can be obtained within 7 to 10 business days from the time first submitted.