Businesses are a key part of the community and can be a great resource in a disaster. Unfortunately, businesses can also be uniquely vulnerable to the impacts of a disaster. In some cases, up to 90% of small businesses fail within 1 year if they are unable to resume operations after 5 days. Planning ahead can help you get back open as quickly as possible, and help your business survive.
Businesses and their staff face a variety of hazards:
- Natural hazards like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes.
- Health hazards such as widespread and serious illnesses like the flu.
- Human-caused hazards including accidents and acts of violence.
- Technology-related hazards like power outages and equipment failure.
There is much that a business leader can do to prepare his or her organization for the most likely hazards. Learn more at the resources below:
- FEMA Ready Business - https://www.ready.gov/business