City Clerk

Claims for Damages

Should I file a Claim for Damages?

A Claim for Damages can be filed if you feel that you have lost money or property as a result of any action or inaction by the City.

Pursuant to Section 911.2 of the California Government Code and Chapter 1.05 of the Riverside Municipal Code, all claims for death, injury to person or to personal property must be filed within six months of the occurrence. Claims for damages to real property and claims for monies purportedly owed by the City such as refunds and contract damages must be filed not later than one year after the occurrence from which the damages arose. Claims for Damages may be submitted online, in person, or by U.S Mail and are processed by the Office of the City Attorney.


Claims Policy and Process


Our goal is to respond to claims promptly and fairly and to make the process easy for you. In our evaluation of your claim, we may review records, interview witnesses or employees, and perform a technical evaluation. You can help by providing thorough and accurate information and documentation.

Our goal is to reach a decision on most claims within 45 days of receipt. The process may take longer when complex issues are involved, when further information is needed, or when extenuating circumstances are present. Once our investigation is complete, we will contact you with our conclusion.

If the City accepts responsibility for damage to a claimant's personal property, it will compensate the claimant for the least cost of the following: repair, fair market value or replacement. For items that are not new and cannot be repaired, fair market value is determined by the estimated value the item would have just prior to the damage occurring.


What supporting documentation is needed?


You can help us process your claim more quickly by completing your claim form thoroughly and by providing supporting documentation. Documents may include:

  • Detailed photographs of the alleged damage
  • For claims regarding property damage: repair estimates, invoices, proof of purchase
  • For personal injury claims: medical records, receipts


How to Submit a Claim for Damages


The first thing to do when filing a claim is to gather all supporting documentation; be sure to retain the originals of any paperwork you submit. For your convenience, there are two ways you can submit your claim to us:

  1. Submit Your Claim Online. You may file your claim entirely online. You will be prompted through a 2-step process and can upload images and files to support or document your claim. Please have all documentation ready before you begin.
  2. Submit a Claim for Damages form to the City Clerk’s Office in person or by U.S. Mail. To submit your claim via these measures, please complete a Claim for Damages form (PDF) and return it to us along with all supporting documentation.

US Mail: City Clerk’s Office, City of Riverside, 3900 Main Street, Riverside, CA 92522


Need help with your Claim?


We are committed to delivering great customer service. If for whatever reason you need to file a claim for damages, and you have any questions regarding already-filed Claims for Damages or experience difficulties completing the online form, please contact the Office of the City Attorney at (951) 826-5896.