La Sierra got its name from the original Mexican land grant know as Rancho La Sierra de Supulveda. The Hole Mansion is the oldest known historic structure in the area, built there by a wealthy lumber baron, Willits J. Hole, beginning in 1913. The Hole Mansion is now a Roman Catholic Seminary. According to local historian Tom Patterson, the community of La Sierra developed as an area of small subsistence farms. A well-established unincorporated area, La Sierra voters approved their annexation to the City of Riverside in 1964.
The vast majority of La Sierra South was annexed by the City in 1964 and the remaining pieces were added between 1966 and 1987. La Sierra South mirrors the larger La Sierra neighborhood in urban design and distribution of uses. The community is mostly developed, with a majority of the land devoted to small, medium-density single-family residential blocks. Few homes in this region were built before 1950 and since 1980.
The large majority of homes were built in the 1970’s and this is evidenced by the street layout and architectural styles. The southeastern portion of this neighborhood is left to agricultural uses and large lot residences. This neighborhood is relatively flat but the southern edge of La Sierra South rises up into hills of moderate elevation. A large undeveloped piece of property at the heart of the neighborhood is owned by Riverside Community College, and there exists great opportunity for high quality development in this area.
Council Representatives & Wards