Officers Rescue Man with Self-Inflicted Gunshot

Published: 06/18/2018



June 18, 2018



Officer Ryan J. Railsback

Public Information Officer                                                                            

Community Services Bureau

[email protected]

(951) 373-6032 (Media Contact)




RIVERSIDE, CA – On Monday, June 18, 2018, at about 1:50 p.m., Riverside Police Officers responded to the 19900 block of St. Francis Drive, in the Orangecrest neighborhood of Riverside, regarding a man who was distraught and armed with a firearm.  As they arrived, officers learned the man was upset due to recent family problems.  He made threats to harm himself and officers confirmed he had a rifle and handgun in the house.   At one point while the Air Support Unit was orbiting above, the man went out to the backyard and pointed a handgun at the police helicopter.  Officers surrounded the house, during which the man walked out to the front yard on multiple occasions holding the handgun, even placing it to his head as he demanded officers to shoot him. 


On duty SWAT officers and negotiators responded to assist.  Negotiators did eventually make contact with the man to attempt his peaceful surrender.  While on the phone with him, they heard a gunshot and the sound of him falling to the ground.  Negotiators then made a video call to the man’s cellphone in hopes to see if he was injured.  With the help of a Riverside Fire Department paramedic and the video call,

they were able to confirm the man was suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest and gave instructions on how to perform medical aid on himself.  The man did continue to talk with officers, but he was not compliant and they did not know for certain if he was still armed. 


The man’s condition appeared to decline, so a plan was formulated for SWAT officers to perform a rescue.  Although they could not determine if he was still armed, SWAT officers put themselves at risk and entered the house where they found him lying in the kitchen.  Paramedics were escorted inside where they performed life-saving measures and transported the man to a local hospital.  He is currently in critical condition but expected to survive, and will be evaluated by mental health professionals upon his condition improving.


Due to the heroic efforts by all the officers involved, the coordination and strong partnership with the Riverside Fire Department, and the use of technology, this situation was safely resolved without any officers or neighbors being injured.