Zip Books is another way for you to request books not owned by the Riverside Public Library. The item is shipped directly to you using Amazon Prime. After it is returned, the Library can add the item to its collection for others to check out. This service is available to anyone with a valid Riverside Public Library card. There are no fees for requests. Up to 5 items per month per customer can be requested
Types of Materials
Acceptable Zip Books titles are:
- Hardbacks, paperbacks, large print, or CD audiobooks.
- Available on Amazon Prime for less than $50 ($75 for foreign language and CD audiobooks) including tax and shipping.
- Not currently on the New York Times Best Sellers List.
- Textbooks, test preparation, and study guides will only be purchased if they are in agreement with Riverside Public Library's collection development practices.
- Not currently in the Library’s catalog. A request can be made for a title already owned by the Library if the request is for a format that is not in the collection, e.g., large print.
All Zip Books are on loan for a 3-week period (21 days) starting on the day they are delivered. Zip Books cannot be renewed or re-requested at check-in. Books more than six weeks overdue are charged to the customer’s account for the full purchase price.
Submitting a Zip Books Request
Step 1: Fill out the Zip Books Request Form.
Step 2: Zip Book requests are processed in the order they are received. Once this survey is submitted, it may take up to three (3) weeks before the order is processed. At that time, you will receive an email from library staff to update you on the status.
Step 3: Keep the item for up to three weeks. When you are finished, return item to a staff member at any Riverside Public Library during open hours (Please do not return to a book drop.)
Zip Books is a grant project provided in partnership with the California State Library and the NorthNet Library System. It is supported by California Library Services Act funds.
An Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows you to borrow materials that are not owned by the Riverside Public Library. This service is available to anyone with a valid Riverside Public Library card. Fine balances must be below $5 in order to use this service. Each ILL request includes a $2 nonrefundable fee.
Submitting an Interlibrary Loan Request
Types of Materials
Some materials are difficult to obtain because other libraries may not loan them. These include:
• Materials published within the last year
• Reference materials
• Newspapers in original format
• Rare materials
• DVDs, videos, music compact discs and, music cassettes and videos
All ILL materials are checked out for a 3-week period (21 days).
We do not renew ILL materials. No exceptions.
Please note: Some libraries charge an additional fee to cover shipping, lending, copying, etc. You can supply the maximum amount you are willing to pay towards these charges, should they exist. However, we will always attempt to fulfill your request through a "free lender" before moving on to an institution that charges.
The California Libraries Catalog lets you search hundreds of library holdings at one time. It is a unique database that shows the holdings of books, videos, audio, maps, and other materials held by libraries in California.