Public Works

Public Works Department FAQ

311 Call Center logo Did You Know?
You can request most Public Works services through the 311 Call Center

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program FAQ

Who qualifies for the rebate?

The applicant and recipient shall be a resident of the City of Riverside and be able to provide proof of residency at the time of rebate application submittal. A current utility bill or other acceptable proof of residency and a valid California driver's license shall be presented at the time of application submittal.

Potential applicants are highly encouraged to contact the City prior to vehicle purchase to confirm their residence is within the City of Riverside.

Other limitations apply.

Return to Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program FAQ

Which vehicles qualify for the rebate?

To be eligible for a rebate, a City resident must purchase or lease a qualifying vehicle from a Riverside auto dealership which meets the following criteria:

  • Fueled exclusively with Compressed Natural Gas (CNG); or
  • Be a battery or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle:
    • Battery electric vehicles run entirely on electricity stored in batteries and have an
      electric motor rather than a gasoline engine
    • Plug-in hybrids are similar to traditional hybrids but are also equipped with a larger,
      more advanced battery that allows the vehicle to be plugged in and recharged in
      addition to refueling with gasoline.
  • Be a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) that meets all of the following
    • Has four wheels.
    • Can attain a speed, in one mile, of more than 20 miles per hour and not more
      than 25 miles per hour, on a paved level surface.
    • Has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000 pounds.
    • Eligible NEVs are limited to those intended for on-road use only.
  • Be a battery electric motorcycle.

Examples of some of the vehicles which meet the program eligibility requirements:

Model Year 2014/15 Eligible Vehicles; Motorcycles; and NEVs*
2014 Models 2015 Models
Battery Electric NEV Battery Electric NEV
BMW i3
Chevrolet Spark EV
Fiat 500e
Ford Focus Electric
Honda Fit EV
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Nissan Leaf
Smart fortwo
Toyota RAV4 EV
EcoCentre Eco-E
EcoCentre Eco-Truck
EcoCentre Evo-Van

Electric Motorcycle
EcoCentre Eco-Cycle
Chevrolet Spark EV
Fiat 500e
Nissan Leaf
EcoCentre Eco-E
EcoCentre Eco-Truck
EcoCentre Evo-Van

Electric Motorcycle
EcoCentre Eco-Cycle
*Other vehicles may qualify.

Other vehicles not listed may qualify. Applicants are responsible for verifying vehicle eligibility prior to purchase by contacting the Public Works Department at (951) 826-5341.


Return to Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program FAQ

How does one receive a rebate?

A rebate application shall be completed and submitted in person to the City of Riverside Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program representative within 30 days of vehicle purchase. Application forms will only be provided in person and must be completed upon receipt at the following location:

  • City of Riverside
  • Regional Water Quality Control Plant
  • 5950 Acorn Street
  • Riverside, CA 92504

Return to Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program FAQ

How is the program funded?

In 1990, California Assembly Bill 2766 was signed into law and the funding program described therein has since been known as the "AB 2766 program."

AB 2766 provides for the collection of an additional $4 in motor vehicle registration fees to fund various air pollution efforts (from

A portion of the funds collected are distributed to cities and counties, based on their percentage of population, to be used to reduce motor vehicle air pollution.

Did You Know? The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program is one of many exciting programs the City of Riverside has implemented using AB 2766 funds.

Return to Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program FAQ

How does one get more information?

The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Incentive Program is administered by the Public Works Department. To discover the savings and learn more about the program, contact the City of Riverside at (951) 826-5311.

Return to Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program FAQ

Return to Top

Animal Services FAQ

Do I have to license my dog?

Yes, California state law requires all dogs over 4 months old to be licensed and vaccinated for rabies. The City of Riverside also requires that both dogs and cats be spayed or neutered, and have microchips in case they are lost.

Return to Animal Services FAQ

How much does a dog license cost and where can I purchase one?

The City of Riverside Public Works Department offers pet license payment services at our City Hall location. The City is a payment center only and does not have access to Riverside County Department of Animal Services records. Please ensure you have all of the required documentation in addition to the pet license application when you purchase a dog license at City Hall.

Licenses may be purchased at two locations:
City of Riverside Residents
City Hall 4th Floor
3900 Main Street
Riverside, CA 92501
City/County of Riverside Residents:
City/County Animal Shelter
6851 Van Buren Blvd.
Riverside, CA 92509

To purchase dog licenses using the County's online processing system, CLICK HERE.

License Fees

License Fees: 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year
Unaltered Dog $100 $175 $250
Spayed/Neutered Dog * $16 $25 $35
Senior (60+) ** $10 $15 $20
Late Fee: $25
Replacement Tag: $6
* If not indicated on the rabies certificate, please provide proof of spay/neuter.
** To receive the reduced senior rate, the dog must be spayed or neutered, and proof of age, such as copy of a driver’s license, is required.

Return to Animal Services FAQ

How do I report a noisy animal/barking dog?

Animal Services personnel work with members of the public to seek ways to significantly reduce the barking dog problems within specific neighborhoods of complaint.

You cannot remain anonymous when filing a Noisy Animal Complaint because your neighbors need to know who their animals are disturbing.

To start the noisy animal process, please contact Animal Services at (951) 358-7387. This may be useful information to share with dog owners to reach a solution without involving Animal Services.

RCDAS website -Barking Dog

Return to Animal Services FAQ

Return to Top

Bicycle Program FAQ

Can I secure my bicycle to trees or any available permanent structures for parking?

No, Riverside Municipal Code requires that bicycles be locked and secured in a bicycle rack or receptacle for parking.

Return to Bicycle Program FAQ

Are there any equipment requirements for bicycles?

Yes, Helmets are required for riders under 18 years old. Bicycles must have handlebars, brakes, and be an appropriate size for the rider.

Return to Bicycle Program FAQ

Are there any equipment requirements for night bike riding?

Yes, bikes used for night riding must have a white headlight and reflectors.

Return to Bicycle Program FAQ

Return to Top

Bus Pass Program FAQ

What is the Riverside Go Transit Program?

The Riverside Go Transit Program is a subsidy program for residents of the City of Riverside. This program discounts selected Riverside Transit Agency bus passes and is being offered as an incentive to use public transportation. Buses provide a link to all parts of the community, stress free commuting options, and help reduce vehicle trips and motor vehicle emissions throughout the City.
Limitations apply. Interested parties are reminded to thoroughly review the program eligibility requirements.

Return to Bus Pass Program FAQ

Who can purchase a discounted bus pass?

City of Riverside residents are the only persons eligible to purchase the Riverside Go Transit discounted passes. The City of Riverside will confirm residency within the City Limits, prior to program participation, for all participants.

Return to Bus Pass Program FAQ

Who is eligible for these passes and how much is the discount?

Individual City of Riverside residents who live within the City Limits are eligible for the Riverside Go Transit discounted passes. The following prices are offered exclusively through this program for local routes only. Vendor/group purchases are not authorized through this program.

Types of passes available through program Regular retail price

City resident exclusive price

Savings to residents
30 Day General / Local $50.00


30 Day Youth / Local


$24.50 30%
30 Day Senior / Disabled / Local $23.00


7 Day General / Local $16.00 $12.80 20%
All other passes can be purchased from RTA or other certified vendors.

General 30 Day Pass / Local
This pass is good for thirty days of unlimited travel on local routes only. Additional fare required on CommuterLink routes. Not accepted on Dial-A-Ride.

Youth 30 Day Pass / Local
This pass is good for thirty days of unlimited travel on local routes only. Additional fare required on CommuterLink routes. Not accepted on Dial-A-Ride.
Please Note: At time of registration for the program if purchasing youth tickets, you must first provide documentation verifying you are in grades 1 through 12. This is required only once for each school year. A valid school-issued ID card which includes your name and school year or an RTA issued Youth ID card are accepted. You must show the original ID each time you use this pass.

Senior/Disabled 30 Day Pass / Local
This pass is good for thirty days of unlimited travel on local routes only. Additional fare required on CommuterLink routes. Not accepted on Dial-A-Ride.

Return to Bus Pass Program FAQ

Return to Top

Engineering FAQ

What is the reference datum?

Like Global Positioning Systems (GPS), reference datums provide location information. Floodplain management uses the vertical datum to denote elevations. The major impact by the new August 2008 digital FIRMs (DFIRMs) will be the change in reference datum. The new maps will reference the current federal standard for vertical datum, the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 (NAVD88), while prior FIRMs referenced the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 (NGVD29). More information regarding vertical datum conversions can be found online at the FEMA and National Geodetic Survey websites.

Return to Engineering FAQ

What is a K-Rat fee?

The Stephens' Kangaroo Rat is listed as a threatened, endangered species by the State of California and the California Department of Fish and Game. The Stephens' Kangaroo Rat Preservation fee is imposed to develop, prepare and implement a Habitat Conservation Plan provides protection for the species and guarantees its survival. Since the City is situated within the historic range of the Stephens' Kangaroo Rat, such fee is required to comply with the state and federal legislation per Riverside Municipal Code 16.40.040.

Return to Engineering FAQ

Is my property located in a floodplain?

Floodplains are mapped with zones on the city's current FIRM. You are welcome to contact the city's Floodplain Administrator, your lender or your insurance agency. For additional assistance, you may contact the FEMA Map Assistance Center at (877) FEMA-MAP.

Return to Engineering FAQ

Return to Top

Graffiti Program FAQ

Are there committee meetings I can join or attend?

Yes, Keep Riverside Clean and Beautiful hosts a monthly Public Education Program (PEP) meeting regarding graffiti related projects and issues. Individual community members are invited to join representatives from local government and private agencies to discuss solutions to graffiti problems in the community. Meetings are held at 10:00 a.m. on the second Wednesday of every even month at the Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce offices, 3985 University Avenue in Riverside.

Return to Graffiti Program FAQ

Do "legal walls" really work?

No. Communities that have tried "legal" walls, an area that permits graffiti, find them ineffective at preventing graffiti. Over a dozen cities in California, Illinois, and other states have all found them to be "a failure". While well intentioned, legal walls send a mixed message and often cause more harm than good. They may appear to work at first, but after a period of time, the surrounding areas also become covered with graffiti. Data also shows no decrease in arrests for graffiti in cities where there are legal walls.

Return to Graffiti Program FAQ

What do I do if my property is tagged?

There are several ways to remove graffiti. The best method for removal is determined by the amount of graffiti, its location, and the vandalized surface. The low-cost method is the paint-out, which is simply to paint over the graffiti. Matching the color of the surface that has been hit helps prevent a patched looking surface, but it is better to paint it out as soon as possible. Many city graffiti abatement personnel use solvents or chemicals to remove graffiti. Pressure washing the surface is another method used.

Return to Graffiti Program FAQ

Return to Top

Parking FAQ

My handicap placard fell out of the window and I was given a parking ticket. What do I do now?

You should contact the Department of Motor Vehicle right away to report your placard lost or stolen. As for the citation it will be either reduced to $23.00 with verification of your placard or it could be dismissed depending on the parking violation.

Return to Parking FAQ

There is a vehicle parked illegally (in a red zone, a permitted area with no permit, in a No Parking zone), can the city come out and cite the vehicle?

Yes, if the vehicle is parked illegally the vehicle could be cited. You can call (951) 826-5311 to report any parking violations.

Return to Parking FAQ

I received a parking citation and no longer own the vehicle, am I still responsible for the parking citation?

Yes, if you were the registered owner at the time the vehicle was cited, you are responsible. If you can provide proof of your release of liability that is filed with DMV, the citation will be removed and changed over to the new registered owner.

Return to Parking FAQ

Return to Top

Sewer FAQ

How reliable is the treatment facility?

Reliability at the Riverside Water Quality Control Plant is very high. The plant is staffed 24 hours a day with operators who are able to respond to any situations that arise. Critical treatment processes are designed with redundant equipment, which means that if a mechanical or electrical component fails, a spare is waiting to take its place. Mechanical and electrical staff members are on-call 24 hours a day in case of a failure that requires their immediate assistance. Maintenance staff diligently cares for the equipment to predict and prevent breakdowns, further adding to the reliability of the facility.

Return to Sewer FAQ

I cannot find my septic tank. How do I find it?

Your local health department should have information regarding the location of your septic tank. Also, a local septic tank pumping service can employ several different types of technology to verify the tank location.

Return to Sewer FAQ

Do I need to notify the city before I drain my pool?

Yes, please call 951-351-6145 to notify us. Our Environmental Compliance Section will need your address and 24 hours notice to approve draining your pool. Swimming Pool Discharge Requirements are as follows per the Riverside Municipal Code:

14.12.340 Swimming Pool Discharge Requirements.

Discharges from swimming pools, wading pools, spas, whirlpools, therapeutic pools and landscape ponds shall be discharged to the following locations in compliance with Section 14.12.315 of this Chapter and under the following conditions:

  1. Surface discharge and/or storm drain, requiring that the chlorine residual is less than 0.1 mg/L; or
  2. Sanitary sewer if such discharge to surface or storm drain would create a public nuisance or hazard or violate any regulation, order, or requirement of the Regional Board, including NPDES Non-Point Source (Storm Water) Permit requirements. User shall first obtain permission from the City prior to discharging any of these waters to the City's sanitary sewer. Permission may be granted by the Director if the discharge will not cause a hydraulic overload condition in the area's sewer lines; or
  3. Pumped out and hauled off to a legal treatment and/or disposal site if the water is found to have hazardous levels of chemicals, elements, or materials.

Return to Sewer FAQ

Return to Top

Shopping Carts FAQ

How do I report abandoned shopping carts?

here are several ways to report abandoned carts:

    Phone applications
  • CartSnap i-phone app
  • Mobile 311 app

    By Phone
  • 1-800-252-4613
  • 311
  • 951-826-5311


Return to Shopping Carts FAQ

Stormwater FAQ

What’s the difference between the sewer system and the storm drain system?

Stormwater and all the pollutants that flow from our homes, parking lots and streets to the gutter into the storm drains discharge directly into our creeks and other water bodies…untreated. Water and pollutants that flow into the sanitary sewer, such as water from our bathtubs and toilet, are sent to wastewater treatment facility before the water is discharged to creeks, the bay, or ocean.

Return to Stormwater FAQ

What is the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Program?

Polluted stormwater runoff is a leading cause of impairment to the nearly 40 percent of surveyed U.S. water bodies which do not meet water quality standards. Over land or via storm sewer systems, polluted runoff is discharged, often untreated, directly into local water bodies. When left uncontrolled, this water pollution can result in the destruction of fish, wildlife, and aquatic life habitats; a loss in aesthetic value; and threats to public health due to contaminated food, drinking water supplies, and recreational waterways.

Mandated by Congress under the Clean Water Act, the NPDES Stormwater Program is a comprehensive two-phased national program for addressing the non-agricultural sources of stormwater discharges which adversely affect the quality of our nation's waters. The program uses the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting mechanism to require the implementation of controls designed to prevent harmful pollutants from being washed by stormwater runoff into local water bodies.

Return to Stormwater FAQ

What causes polluted stormwater runoff?

Polluted stormwater runoff generally happens anywhere people use or alter the land. People going about their daily lives are the number one source of stormwater pollutants. Most people are unaware of how they impact water quality. Some common examples include over fertilizing lawns, excessive pesticide use, not picking up pet waste, using salt or fertilizer to de-ice driveways, letting oil drip out of their vehicles and littering. Developed areas in general, with their increased runoff, concentrated numbers of people and animals, construction and other activities, are a major contributor to NPS pollution, as are agricultural activities. Other contributors include forest harvesting activities, roadways, and malfunctioning septic systems.

Return to Stormwater FAQ

Return to Top

Street Maintenance FAQ

What information is needed when reporting damage to a street?

  • Water bubbling out of the street is probably a water line.
  • Water from a manhole could be a sewer issue.

Precise information about the location of the damage is required for the crews to locate the problem. "On Van Buren near Jurupa" is often not enough information to actually locate the problem being called in.

Adding estimated distance and direction or landmarks such as "on Van Buren next to the golf course, five to ten feet from Jurupa" will assist the crews to properly identify a location. We may ask if there are certain odors present, how deep the hole is and its general size/shape. Providing this information can help get the problem corrected sooner.


Return to Street Maintenance FAQ

Can I paint my curb red to keep people from parking in front of my house?

No. Residents are not allowed to paint their own curbs to restrict parking. Please refer to the Riverside Municipal Code.

Return to Street Maintenance FAQ

What is considered to be an "emergency" when reporting sign damage?

A missing, damaged, turned or illegible stop sign is considered to be an emergency and crews are dispatched immediately for appropriate action. All other traffic control signs are considered to be routine maintenance.

Return to Street Maintenance FAQ

Return to Top

Street Sweeping FAQ

How will I know when my street will be swept?

The City of Riverside provides street sweeping on public streets in neighborhoods on the 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th weeks of the month from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. or from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Additionally, regular street sweeping is completed on main thoroughfares throughout the City.

Return to Street Sweeping FAQ

Where can I park during a street sweeping day?

Every vehicle needs to be removed from the street on street sweeping days from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. or from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. during the designated sweeping time. Parking in your driveway is most convenient. However, if your driveway is full, make arrangements with a neighbor, or check adjoining neighborhoods not scheduled for the same street sweeping day. You can also contact the 311 Call Center so that City staff can assist you with a possible solution. It is also important for you to remind any service providers at your home or business (gardener, pool cleaner, etc.) of the street sweeping schedule and that their vehicle cannot be parked on the street.

Return to Street Sweeping FAQ

Will my street be swept if there is no curb and gutter?

No. Street sweeping with no curb and gutter can actually create more problems as the brushes pull the dirt and debris from the side of the street onto the asphalt.

Return to Street Sweeping FAQ

Return to Top

Trees & City Landscaping FAQ

What happens if a tree or vegetation grows too close to power lines?

State law requires utility companies to maintain specific clearances between electric power lines and all vegetation. Failure to allow the City of Riverside to comply with the law can result in liability to the homeowner for damages or injuries resulting from a tree or a vegetation hazard.

Return to Trees & City Landscaping FAQ

Can I trim a city tree?

You may not trim a city tree without a permit. The city will allow you to hire your own licensed contractor through a no fee permit process provided the City tree inspector agrees with the trimming needs of the tree. You can also pay to have the City contractor trim the tree through our Resi-pay program by contacting the 311 Call Center. The typical cost for trimming trees with our Resi-pay program in the public right of way is $95.00. Please call for more information.

Return to Trees & City Landscaping FAQ

What can I do about a neighbor’s private tree that is causing problems for me?

If low hanging branches are interfering with the use of your property, you may request the owner trim the tree. If necessary contact 311 Call Center for assistance.

However, private trees have a right to cross the property lines. You cannot sever roots and branches that encroach onto your property if it will damage the tree. The owner of the tree must take measures to prevent damage to your private property.

Return to Trees & City Landscaping FAQ

Return to Top

Trash and Recycling

Do I actually own the barrels?

No. The first three barrels (one for each commodity; trash, green waste, and recyclables) are provided by the city to facilitate trash service. When the resident moves out, all three barrels are to stay behind at that address. If a resident requests an additional barrel, he/she is charged a base fee and a monthly fee for extra service. The extra barrel may remain with the resident as long as he/she lives in Riverside. Additional base fees are not charged when the resident moves from place to place. However, the barrel must be left behind when a resident no longer lives in Riverside. A resident may return the extra barrel for a $25 credit within two years of delivery.

Return to Trash and Recycling FAQ

Does the City of Riverside credit my account if my trash was missed?

No. Riverside does not credit the utility account. It is up to the resident to contact the city and alert them to the problem so they can return to collect the missed barrel. Contact the 311 Call Center to have the barrel serviced.

Return to Trash and Recycling FAQ

How do I find out who provides my trash service?

Contact the 311 Call Center to find out who services your area and the day(s) of service.

Return to Trash and Recycling FAQ

Return to Top

Vector Control

Can someone come out and identify the bees in my backyard?

No. Africanized Honey Bees are a hybrid between African Bees and European Bees. They are relatively the same size and have the same identifying marks, therefore only scientists in special labs can identify bees. Because of this, it is a good idea to stay away from all bees. Refer to Africanized Bees to learn more about Bee safety.

Return to Vector Control FAQ

What can I do to protect my pool or ornamental pond from mosquito breeding?

Keep swimming pools clean, aerated and chlorinated. A bacteria called "BTI" (Bacillus thuringiensis) can be used for mosquito larvae control in standing water. Aerate artificial ponds to prevent the surface of the water to remain unbroken. Avoid massing aquatic plants together in artificial ponds. Mosquito larvae can hide from the fish if the vegetation is dense. Stock artificial ponds with fish that eat mosquito larvae such as mosquitofish or guppies. Refer to Mosquitoes for more information on how to protect you and your family from mosquitoes.

Return to Vector Control FAQ

How can rodents get into my house even after I block all entrances from the ground?

Rodents can climb along tree branches or palm fronds to reach the rooftop, from there, they can usually find a way in through vents, pipes, etc. Don’t forget to cover those as well. Keep trees and palms trimmed away from the house.

Return to Vector Control FAQ

Return to Top

Weed Removal

Who do I call to report overgrown vegetation?

Contact the 311 Call Center to report overgrown grass, weeds, bushes, shrubs or trees. Please be prepared to give specific information on the location of the problem so the information can be given to the correct Department/Division.

Return to Weed Removal FAQ

There are weeds growing on the sidewalk and at the cul-de-sac on my street. Who is responsible for these areas?

Typically the property owner is responsible for weeds in these locations. Weeds growing on the sidewalk or in the right-of-way between the sidewalk and the curb are the property owner's responsibility. The responsibility is shared between the two owners at the end of the cul-de-sac with the division being the center.

For concerns about weeds on private property contact the 311 Call Center to request Code Enforcement Division action if necessary.

For weeds on state, federal or county property contact the appropriate agency to report the concerns. For weeds on Cal-Trans property contact Cal-Trans at (909) 383-4631. For weeds on railroad rights-of-way contact Burlington, BNSF or Union Pacific. For weeds on schools, contact the school district responsible for the school.

Return to Weed Removal FAQ

The cracks in the street have weeds growing out of them. Can I call to have them removed?

No. The city does not treat weeds in the street.

Return to Weed Removal FAQ

Return to Top

raincross orange footer
City of Riverside Logo 30x30 City of Riverside  |  Explore Riverside  |  At Home in Riverside  |  Seizing Our Destiny

Font size:

Stop the Hacker
Copyright © 2015 City of Riverside | Accessibility Policy | Website Disclaimer | Privacy and Security Policy
Facebook: Like the City of Riverside LinkedIn Twitter YouTube: Subscribe to the City of Riverside RSS: Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the City of Riverside GovDelivery: Receive email alerts from the City of Riverside GTV: City of Riverside's television channel Outlook E-News
Printed from: