COVID-19/Coronavirus Update

City Engineering

City Engineering

Public Works Permitting



Beginning Wednesday January 12, 2022, the One Stop Shop will close to the public, but continue to provide development services virtually through the public permit portal.  The One Stop Shop will remain closed until January 31, 2022, to help combat the spread of the COVID-19 virus.  Due to COVID-19 impacts on City staff, we will work to be as responsive as possible but additional time may be necessary to process applications, perform plan review, and provide field inspection services.  Please anticipate some delay in the development process as we continue to respond to this crisis.

Existing Projects: Existing permit applications under review and using a paper plan format may drop off and pick up resubmittals at City Hall in accordance with this policy. Existing projects in ePlan format will continue electronically and may not be converted to paper.  Permits that are ready to issue, along with any payments, may occur remotely by contacting staff in accordance with previously established virtual procedures.

New Projects: All new permit applications (with or without public works plan review) must be submitted in electronic format utilizing the One Stops Shops Public Permit Portal.

At this time, existing permit and plan check applications will continue to remain valid with expiration dates extended 180 days beyond the lifting date of the declared emergency, when occurs. This does not include parcel and tract map approvals, which are subject to the any extensions offered by the State of California.

Public Works Inspections: projects with issued permits will continue to receive inspection services while practicing safety measures in compliance with State Guidelines and City policy.

Please contact the Public Works Department by calling (951) 826-5341 for further information. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.


New Permit Applications with Paper Plans:

Step 1: Navigate to the Public Works Forms and Handouts webpage to download the Checklist For First Submittal Packages. Complete, sign and submit via email as per application instructions

Step 2: Public Works Land Development staff will reach out to you with any application requirements and fees due to ensure your application is deemed complete

Step 3: Provide all required information and pay plan check fees remotely per Public Works Land Development staff direction prior to any submittal

Step 4: Once your permit application is deemed complete and fees are paid, submit paper plans and any supporting documents to City Hall during normal business hours in accordance with the One Stop Shop Transmittal Form instructions below. Your plan check turnaround time will start once step 4 is completed on the next business day

Transmittal Form


Existing Permit Application Resubmittals with Paper Plans:

Step 1: When ready to resubmit paper plans, reach out to Land Development staff first to ensure you know exactly what to resubmit (sets of plans, supporting documents, forms, any fees due, etc.

Step 2: Once any fees due are paid remotely (if applicable) proceed to resubmit plans and supporting documents along with a completed One Stop Shop Transmittal Form during normal business hours. Your plan check turnaround time will start once step 2 is completed on the next business day

Transmittal Form


Please contact Public Works Land Development at (951) 826-5800 or for further information.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Permits are issued for the work of grading and paving streets, sidewalks and alleys, and of constructing and installing curbs, gutters, culverts, drains, drainage systems, sanitary sewers and appurtenant work.

construction plansPublic Works permits are valid for one year. A written submission of extension request is required prior to expiration of the permit. The Public Works Department will review and approve the extension request. The extension is good once for one year additional time.

To schedule an inspection of your Public Works Permit, visit our scheduling page by CLICKING HERE. Once the request is submitted, our inspector will contact you within 24 to 48 hours.

Construction Permits

A construction permit is required when the proposed work involves in preparing sub-grade, paving, installing sewer or drain pipe; constructing curbs, gutters, driveways, sidewalks, manholes, catch basins or similar structures in any street, alley, or easement within the City.

engineerThe applicant must be a state licensed contractor with the class license applicable to the work he is going to perform as stated on the Permit-Insurance Requirements form. The subject improvement plans must have been approved and signed by the City Engineer prior to obtaining the Construction permit. A traffic control plan is also required.

If the work is to be on either minor or collector streets, the traffic control plan can be replaced with the WATCH Manual (Work Area Traffic Control Handbook) or MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices).

If the work is to be on an arterial street, the formal submittal of the traffic control plan is required for Public Works review and approval prior to permit issuance. The plan check engineer will determine the permit fee for you based on the proposed work on the approved plan.

The construction permit can be obtained immediately with the approved plans and fees.

Return to Top

Street Opening Permits

A street opening permit is required when:

  • Installing new utilities such as gas, electric, water lines, communications (phone, cable, etc.), cellurar equipment, etc.
  • Excavating inside the Public right-of-way when proposed by others
  • Performing work and/or construction activities that require traffic control or restricts pedestrians from using the sidewalk areas
  • Tree trimming or landscaping that restricts both vehicular and or pedestrian traffic

The applicant requirements are identical to those for a Construction Permit, see Permit-Insurance Requirements. There is an additional requirement to submit an approved set of plans (four each) showing the work to be done, and four sets of Traffic Control Plans (M.U.T.C.D. or W.A.T.C.H. typical details are acceptable; otherwise an engineered traffic control plan is required within 300' LF of a signalized intersection). Finally, the Public Works Department counter staff will determine the permit fee for you based on the work proposed.

When all the necessary information and fees are prepared by the applicant, the street opening permit can be obtained within 7 to 10 business days from the time first submitted.

Return to Top

Master Plans
Construction Projects
Construction Projects
General Information
3900 Main Street - 4th Floor
Riverside, CA 92522

Phone: (951) 826-5800

Monday - Friday 7:30am - 5:30pm
Closed Major Holidays
raincross orange footer
City of Riverside Logo 30x30 City of Riverside  |  Explore Riverside  |  At Home in Riverside  |  Seizing Our Destiny

Font size:

Stop the Hacker
Copyright © 2015 City of Riverside | Accessibility Policy | Website Disclaimer | Privacy and Security Policy
Facebook: Like the City of Riverside LinkedIn Twitter YouTube: Subscribe to the City of Riverside RSS: Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the City of Riverside GovDelivery: Receive email alerts from the City of Riverside  RiversideTV Icon
Printed from: