A Clean Air Vision
Since the 1950s, Riverside has been negatively affected by the amount of pollutants in the air, primarily transported by wind patterns from Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
Since the 1980s, Riverside and its community partners have actively and aggressively adopted programs focused on improving air quality through various strategies, including:
- Encouraging use of alternative fuels,
- Promoting increased use of public transit,
- Minimizing commuting times and vehicle idling times,
- Implementing measures to reduce ambient particulate matter,
- Improving the urban forest, and
- Diversifying energy resources.
On November 19, 2002 the Riverside City Council approved a set of proposed strategic actions to make Riverside a
Model Clean Air City. An advisory committee was formed of local community and business members, city employees, and other agencies concerned with air quality concerns. The committee meets three times a year to discuss projects funded by the city’s
AB 2766 Subvention Funds. These funds are state revenue from vehicle registration monies to be spent on air quality improvement projects.
Programs & Projects
Green Projects That Help Air Quality
Biosolids Disposal - By converting biosolids to a renewable, green fuel, which can be used as a substitute for lignite coal.
Fuel Cell Project - Produces energy with reduced impact to the environment.
Grease to Gas - By converting restaurant grease wastewater to fuel for the Riverside Water Quality Control Plant, the problem of disposal is resolved and the RWQCP saves money.
- 70% of the city’s fleet vehicles, including pool cars and heavy duty service vehicles, have been converted to clean fuels.
alternative fuel station including compressed natural gas (CNG), propane and hydrogen is used to fuel city vehicles and is available to the public.
- Participation in a regional hydrogen vehicle pilot program.
- Inclusion of an air quality element in the
City of Riverside General Plan.
Policies & Goals
Electric Vehicle Information
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program
Do Your Part
More AirNow Links
RiversideGoTransit Subsidy Program
3900 Main St. 4th Floor
Riverside, CA 92522
|Mon - Fri
||7:30am - 5:30pm
|Closed on Weekends and Major Holidays
Printed from: http://www.riversideca.gov/publicworks/air/Default.asp