Riverside Public Library
16 August 1901
Andrew Carnegie grants Riverside $20,000 for a library building.
Construction begins on the Main library at the northeast corner of Seventh and Orange Streets. The Mission Revival building is the work of the architectural firm of Burham and Blieser of Los Angeles; the general contractor is J. W. Carroll of Riverside.
31 July 1903
The Carnegie Library opens to the public. It has a capacity of 20,000 volumes.
An addition to the back of the Carnegie Library is completed. Partially funded by another Carnegie Grant, the $15,000 project creates a children's room for the first time.
7 March 1912
The Riverside Library Service School is formally established.
Ethan Allan Chase creates the Library's first trust fund.
30 June 1917
Riverside voters defeat a $40,000 bond issue and cause the loss of matching funds from the Carnegie Foundation to expand the Library and the Library Service School Facilities.
The foundation of the Carnegie Library settles, shattering the west wall and southwest corner of the building.
The City Council agrees to raise the $30,000 to purchase the Allatt and Humphrey houses to the east of the Library in return for $25,000 from the Carnegie Library Foundation to repair and expand the Carnegie Building.
25 February 1922
The new "Reference Wing," designed by Riverside architect G. Stanley Wilson, is opened to the public. The Carnegie Library now has a 100,000 volume capacity.
The Library Service School occupies the remodeled Allatt House. After remodeling, the Humphrey House becomes a children's library and is designed as the "Junior Branch." The Library loses half of its City funding due to the Great Depression.
15 May 1942
Fearing bombing or invasion, the Library ships its rarest books, local history materials, and archives to the University of Colorado at Boulder for storage.
14 August 1943
The Library Service School closes and the County Free Library offices move into the Allatt House.
The Library becomes a depository for California and Federal government publications.
17 October 1961
69% of Riverside voters approve a $1.7 million bond issue to construct a new Main library building after defeating the same proposal 6 months earlier.
1 April 1963
The site for the new library is approved by the City Council after 18 months of controversy over the location and size of parking lots around the building.
25 June 1963
A groundbreaking ceremony is held for the new Main library.
The Carnegie Library and the Allatt and Humphrey Houses are demolished; the new Main library is occupied and opened to the public.
21 March 1965
Riverside's new Main library is dedicated. The 61,420 square-foot structure designed by the Riverside architectural firm of Moise, Harbach and Hewlett has a 300,000 volume capacity and seating for 550 patrons.
Adapted from "Serving through Partnership" by Ronald J. Baker