La Sierra takes its name from the original Mexican land grant known as Rancho La Sierra de Sepulveda. The La Sierra Hills neighborhood was home to Hole Mansion built by a wealthy lumber baron, Willits J. Hole, beginning in 1913. This was the focal point of the several thousand-acre Hole ranch which encompassed much of La Sierra and portions of Corona and Norco. The Pacific Union Conference of the Seventh Day Adventist Church purchased property from Hole in 1922 for what is now La Sierra University. A well established unincorporated area, La Sierra voters approved their annexation to the City of Riverside in 1964.
La Sierra Hills was annexed between 1964 and 1965, with the former being the largest acquisition since the founding of the City. La Sierra Hills takes its name from the high rolling terrain of the western portion of the neighborhood. Because of this geography, the urban landscape has developed in an almost flowing manner around the contours of the land. This diverse topography contributes much to this region’s beauty and limited development. Medium-density residential blocks are confined to the southeastern portion of this region and even here, development is relatively sparse.
Residential development has occurred steadily for the latter half of this century, but the majority of homes were built between 1960 and 1980.
Council Representatives & Wards