Riverside Public Library
Camp Anza was a WWII army camp named in honor of Spanish explorer, Juan Bautista de Anza. It was built on 1,239 acres bought in 1942 that had been part of the W. J. Hole ranch. The U. S. government paid $197,688 for the land, and after construction of the buildings, had spent over $2 million. The function of the camp was as an embarkation point or staging center through which more than 600,000 soldiers passed to the Pacific Theatre of war, both coming and going. On occasion there were more than 20,000 men housed at the camp at one time. The Union Pacific Railroad built a special siding to serve the camp and men were brought into Camp Anza by train from all parts of the U. S. Camp Anza was closed 30 April 1946. After which the area became known as Anza Village and, later, Arlanza.
The collection contains photographs, masthead samples, and a printer's die for the Anza Zip, and most importantly a run of the camp newspaper, the Anza Zip from v.1, nr.2, 13 Feb. 1943 to v.4, nr.3, 21 Feb. 1946. We know of no other run of this newspaper.